Feb 142013
 

Highly touted senior forward Julius Randle was not named a McDonald’s All-American during Thursday’s announcement on ESPNU. The uncommitted Kentucky recruit has been out since suffering a broken foot in the second game of the season on Nov. 24.

But there’s still hope that Randle will be able play in the McDonald’s Game on April 3.

Randle’s mother, Carolyn Kyles, told the Herald-Leader on Thursday night that Randle will return to the court Friday for his team’s senior night game. McDonald’s game organizers told the Herald-Leader earlier in the day that the selection committee would continue to monitor Randle’s health over the next few weeks.

If he’s healthy in time, he’ll be considered.

“We’ll see,” Kyles told the Herald-Leader. “One day at a time.”

Douglas Freeland, director of the McDonald’s All American Games, released the following statement to the Herald-Leader:

“We are aware that following his injury earlier this season, 2013 McDonald’s All American Nominee Julius Randle is preparing for his return to the court. Although Randle does not appear on the 2013 Roster today, the McDonald’s All American Games Selection Committee will be closely watching his play over the next few weeks as he finishes his senior season. The McDonald’s All American Games have featured the top prep talent for 36 years, and if Julius Randle returns as the Julius Randle we knew earlier this season, we are open to naming him to the team just as we did with Derrick Whittenberg in 1979 and Sam Perkins in 1980. We want to make sure that any player that takes the court on April 3 at Chicago’s United Center is capable of competing at the highest level.”

Share

 Leave a Reply

(required)

(required)

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Powered by sweet Captcha