UK target Matthews will reveal decision Wednesday

 Posted by at 11:58 PM on February 24, 2014  Add comments
Feb 242014
 
Matthews

Matthews

One of John Calipari’s top targets in the Class of 2015 is ready to announce his college decision, and Kentucky is seen by many as his most likely destination.

Chicago guard Charles Matthews will reveal his college choice at 9:30 a.m. ET on Wednesday. The 6-foot-5 prospect has narrowed his list to UK, Kansas, Michigan State, Illinois and Marquette.

Calipari attended Matthews’ practice at St. Rita High School on Monday, and Matthews announced a couple of hours later that he was ready to end his recruitment. The head coach at St. Rita is Gary DeCesare, who was also UK assistant Orlando Antigua’s high school coach.

Matthews is also a friend and former AAU teammate of UK signee Tyler Ulis, who will be a freshman for the Wildcats next season and is expected to stick around as a multi-year player. The two played together with Chicago Meanstreets, the same program that former Calipari stars Anthony Davis and Derrick Rose played for before heading to college.

The timing of Calipari’s latest visit and Matthews’ ties to the UK program have led many analysts to predict he will end up at UK, which was already viewed as a favorite in the recruitment. UK has 92 percent of the predictions on Matthews’ 247Sports Crystal Ball page. The other 8 percent is going to Illinois.

Rivals, Scout, ESPN and 247Sports all rank Matthews among the top 15 prospects in the Class of 2015. He is one of three junior guards with a UK scholarship offer. The other two are Mississippi’s Malik Newman and Ohio’s Luke Kennard.

UK does not have any commitments for the Class of 2015.

Share

 Leave a Reply

(required)

(required)

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Powered by sweet Captcha