NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. — Five-star basketball recruit Bol Bol said that there were no hard feelings after being cut from John Calipari’s USA Basketball U19 squad last month.
Bol — the No. 2 overall player in the Scout.com rankings for 2018 — did say he heard from UK assistant coach Kenny Payne after he didn’t make that 12-player squad that traveled to Egypt for the FIBA World Cup.
“He was the one who told me that I should have made it,” Bol said.
Calipari, the head coach of the U19 team, was complimentary of Bol during the training camp in Colorado Springs, but the 7-foot-2 son of Manute Bol ultimately missed the final cut.
Bol said Thursday that he understood the decision on the final roster involved more than Calipari’s preference. The UK coach was one of several USA Basketball officials who picked the final team.
“It wasn’t just his fault,” Bol said. “I don’t really blame him for not putting me on the team. He can’t officially decide everyone (he wants).”
Going into the camp, Scout.com’s Evan Daniels told the Herald-Leader that UK and Arizona were generating the most buzz in Bol’s recruitment. (Arizona Coach Sean Miller was also on the selection committee that left Bol off the squad).
Bol said Thursday that he plans to visit UK, Arizona and Oregon, and more visits are possible as he narrows down his recruitment. He previously told the Herald-Leader that he is in no hurry to make a college decision.